Monday, March 16, 2009

Last night I finished the internet.

There are many sites I regularly visit. These sites run the gamut from online retailers to message boards. Most of the really good stuff on the internet I have already found. Every morning I check out Woot, all of the Woot sites actually, to see what incredible deal I'm most likely not going to take advantage of. I swing by Fark to see what news I might have missed. I stop by Found to see what somebody else left behind. I make a stop by The Smoking Gun to make sure no one I know has been arrested in a stupid tee shirt. There are about 15 - 20 other sites that I'll venture to throughout the day as well - not counting the one I work for (woodcraft.com).

As a professional Web designer, I spend a great deal of the day on the internet. And in case you're wondering, the internet is wicked large. The author Douglas Adams wrote in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that,

"Space is big - really big - you just won't believe how vastly, hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

That pretty much sums up the way you should look at the World Wide Web.

Scientists have theories about the end of the universe. They claim that the universe is ever expanding and that at some point, like a giant elastic underwear band, the universe will snap back and cease to exist. I now believe that the internet may suffer the same fate.

Last night, for the first time, I may have finished the internet. After a decade and a half of visiting an endless hodgepodge of sites I very nearly ran out of internet around 9:30 pm est. Much like the brave explorers of the 15 century that sailed without fear towards the "edge of the earth," I briefly saw the end, and then lost it. For a few precious seconds I realized I had managed to see everything of any importance and I was forced to be patient, and wait for them to make more internet.

Thankfully, I awoke this morning to find that the internet gods had indeed replenished the internet with lousy homemade videos, canceled television shows, public domain photos of upside-down dogs, left behind shopping lists and bags of crap. All was right with the World Wide Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment